Pass/Fail Policy FAQs

How do I put a course on Pass/Fail?

  • More information on submitting a Pass/Fail request can be found on the Registrar’s forms page, and a request can be submitted using the Student Enrollment Request Form.
  • Major advisor and/or program director approval/consent is required for all Pass/Fail requests.

    What grades count as “Pass”, and which count as “Fail” under Pass/Fail grading?

    • For a course designated as Pass/Fail, a letter grade of D-minus or above will be translated to a P@ for pass. A letter grade of F will be translated to an F@ for fail.

    If I put a course on P/F, will it count toward my GPA?

    • Courses taken on a Pass/Fail basis (appearing as a “P@” or “F@” on your transcript) do not count toward your GPA.
    • For example, an “F@” is not factored into your GPA, whereas an “F” (for a course taken on a graded basis) will be factored into your GPA with a value of 0.

    If I put a course on Pass/Fail, will it affect my financial aid?

    • Students electing to place courses on pass/fail or taking incompletes for the semester should be aware that this may have an impact on their SAP status.

    If I put a course on Pass/Fail, will it count toward the requirements for my major/minor or gen eds?

    • Courses taken on a Pass/Fail basis cannot count towards majors, minors, or gen eds. They can count only as electives.

    What can I do if I don’t like my grade in a course that I planned to use for a major, minor or gen ed course?

    • If the grade is an F, you can put it on Pass/Fail to protect your GPA. You will need to take the course again on a graded basis in order to fulfill major, minor, and/or general education requirements.
    • If your program requires a specific grade for this requirement and your grade is below that threshold, you can put it on Pass/Fail to protect your GPA and earned credits for this semester. You will need to take the course again. When you retake the course, you will lose the credits under repeat forgiveness.
    • If there is an alternative course that fills the same requirement, you may prefer to take the course on Pass/Fail and keep the credits as electives that do not affect your GPA. You can then take a different course next semester that fills the same requirement.
    • Some graduate schools and licensures require specific courses to be taken as graded (these are often courses that have a minimum grade requirement). If you take such a course on a Pass/Fail, you may need to retake it, even if your grade was above the minimum.

      Can I put classes on Pass/Fail if I am on academic probation or warning?

      • No. A student who is on scholastic warning/probation/subject to dismissal may not put any courses on Pass/Fail. 

        Are there limits on the number of Pass/Fail courses that I can take throughout my UConn career?

        • Undergraduate students may elect a maximum of 12 credits (across no more than three courses) as Pass or Fail across their entire undergraduate academic career. This total does not include courses designated as Pass or Fail in the Spring 2020 semester.

        How do Pass/Fail and Repeat Forgiveness policies overlap?

        • Students are allowed to take courses up to three times; Pass/Fail counts as an attempt. If you place the second attempt at a course on pass/fail, you will need Advising Dean approval to take for a third time. The University does not allow a course to be taken a 4th time under any circumstances.
        • For more information on policies regarding retaking/repeating a course, please visit the Registrar’s webpage.

        If I have received a grading sanction resulting from an academic integrity case, can I change my grade to Pass/Fail or drop the class?

        • No. If you have received a grading sanction (e.g., an automatic “F”) resulting from an academic integrity case, you cannot change to Pass/Fail or drop the course. The sanction you received will stand.