Academic Adjustments Petition

Consideration for an academic adjustment is done on a case-by-case basis. This Academic Adjustment Petition should be prepared as early as possible in a student’s undergraduate career and no later than the semester prior to their last year so that they will have ample time to complete the requirements. As soon as it is apparent that an academic adjustment should be considered, the student should initiate the process through the Center for Students with Disabilities, where they will be required to register. Students should submit all materials indicated in the checklist below to the Vice Provost for Academic Affairs prior to the end of the 4th week of the semester. Committee decisions will be made before the end of the semester. The committee’s decision will be communicated to both student and their Dean’s Office through electronic correspondence.


  • Meet with a representative of the Center for Students with Disabilities to:
    • Ensure that you have an updated and comprehensive copy of Disability Documentation on file and have provided sufficient information regarding the request to enable the CSD representative on the Academic Adjustments Committee to adequately comment on your petition.
    • Obtain the signature of the CSD representative.
  • Meet with your Dean’s designee or if you are an ACES student, the Academic Center for Exploratory Students (ACES) Director to:
    • Discuss your curriculum requirements and academic options.
    • Obtain the signature of your Dean’s designee or ACES director.
  • Include the following with your petition:
    • A personal statement outlining the difficulties you have experienced in quantitative and/or language courses including evidence that you have actively pursued academic support. If you are requesting an adjustment to both the Q and second language requirement please make a separate case for each in your personal statement.
    • A list of the quantitative and/or language courses you have attempted to date.
    • Copies of all transcripts from all high schools and post-secondary institutions that you have attended (unofficial transcripts are acceptable).
    • Letters of support from high school teachers, college instructors and/or other professionals are also welcome, though not required.

Submit completed petition to the Office of the Vice Provost for Academic Affairs, 1st floor, Gulley Hall, 352 Mansfield Road, U-1086, Storrs, CT 06269-1086.

If you wish to submit your petition electronically, please scan the completed petition and all supporting documentation and email it to

Fall 2017 deadline for submitting complete petitions  – Friday, December 8, 2017.

Download the academic adjustment petition here